Palitana is famous because of the Rose (The king of flower) which is called “Deshi Gulabs” in Ayurveda.
The land of Palitana has special an organic structure for this type of roses. The Indian “Desi Gulab or musk rose” (Rosa moschata), a very fragrant rose variety, is closely related to the Damascus rose that originated in Persia. It produces small flowers (2 to 3 inch across) with pink petals. The petals retain their delicate fragrance long after drying.This roses has a unique specialty rose grows in the morning and in the evening all the petals of the rose is fall down from the nee.
In past time Palitana was the moneyed state. The king of the Palitana had called people from the Rajasthan who are called as “Mali’s’” for the preparing gardens. King had provides them land and told them to make Palitana beautiful by making rose gardens and planting the trees. For that the brides of Mali’s stay in Palitana for gardening and settle here.
They have given pride to the Palitana as a city of flowers. Everyday Palitana produce approx 30000 roses from that 10000 roses goes to the Mountain for the worshiping and rest of exported to other cities.
Gulkand is an Arabic word. Ingredients of Gulkand are fresh rose petals and sugar (khadi sakar).
Gulkand is undoubtedly the most delicious Ayurvedic preparation known to mankind.
Gul means rose and Kand means sweet jam. It is made primarily of rose petals which are collected at their peak condition. It also contains other “Rejuvenating herbs” blended in just the right proportions.
Gulkand has been traditionally used as a cooling tonic. It is used in the hot country area.
It is good for memory, eyesight, cheerfulness and it is a good blood purifier.
It is also naturally rich in calcium and has antioxidant. It can be used year-round by persons of all constitutions, especially “Vata and Pitta”.
Indian Ayurvedic doctors suggest that in replacement of Honey use it combined with other specific herbs for several types of cancer patients undergoing radiation or chemotherapies.
Gulkand Benefits & Uses of Gulkand
• Gulkand has been traditionally used as a cooling tonic to combat fatigue, lethargy, muscular aches, biliousness, itching, and heat-related conditions.
• For those who do not know pulse reading, simply observe the color of the underclothes. If slight yellowish tinge is seen, Pitta exists. For people with yellowish foul smelling sweat from armpits, there exists pitta dosha in blood. This gets corrected by Gulkand.
• Gulkand is highly useful in problems like Heavy menstrual discharge, white discharge in women. The medicines for these problems are generally given with Gulkand. It's aroma helps secretion of Oxytocin, the love harmone. Hence the flower is associated with heart. It increases `Sadhak Pitta', the constituent of the blood which strengthens heart, emotions, motherly affection.
• Nose-bleeding, hemorrage, vomitting of blood and or bitter-sour pitta, excess menstrual discharge, frequent abortions etc are the indications wherein Gulkand gives excellent cooling. The rose has special properties. It is sweet, cool, pungent and yet slight bitter. After digestion it produces sweet (Vipak) juice due to which it shows very benificial effect on intestines, improving digestion and metabolism. In many cases, when pimples arise due to heat in the blood, the use of Gulknad removes the heat from the intestines. This removes pimples and old blemishes.
• Rose is easy to digest, due to its sweet, pungent and bitter tastes, it has certain benificial effect as heart tonic. Its association with heart is already mentioned.
• For children having worms in intestines, an ayurvedic powder `Vidanga' or `Vavding' is mixed in Gulkand and given to destroy the worms in a fortnight. Dose is 1 tsp twice a day for fortnight.
• Gulkand gives cool feeling to nerves. In todays world filled with stress and strain at every point, it is a good tonic for central nervous system as well as liver. It pacifies pitta in blood, reduces constipation and strengthens all seven dhatus of the body, as per Charak Sanhita.
• Gulkand also helps reducing hyperacidity. The heat in the Gastro canal, duodenum is removed by Gulkand. In swelling and ulcer of intestines, the acidity shows up in blackish blemishes on forehead, face, blackish circles around eyes, loss of hair etc.
• Ayurveda describes rose as "Vrishya" meaning strengthening the semen. When semen has less sperms or sperms are getting weakened due to vaginal acidity, such couples will get benefits due to Gulkand.